Career update after six month post-graduate period

G'day & Chao (hello in Vietnamese),

It has been a while since I last updated (goodness, I realised I have an array of pages/blogs that I write on and I leave this site out).

It is early October - happy new month to you! I hope your endeavours and goals for this month are exciting like mine (or not, everyone's experiences are different 😀).

I just got back from a short trip overseas and I have already ventured on a new beginning or should I say a new 'prototype...'

The timing of this work is interesting... Funny how things get lined up... or other events obstruct your vision/goal/aim...

Short story:

I attended an 'environmental' event run by my local council near my house. It was 'sustainability-related' and I wanted to go to learn about what the council talks about in terms of 'sustainability' and I intended to meet the Brimbank team to discuss volunteering opportunities.

I emailed one of the environmental officers and she referred me to the head coordinator. This went on for another three months when there was a month of no contact and I noted it down to follow it up (as I heard of no response).

Finally, the head coordinator agreed to meet me, she scheduled early October (meant to meet her late September but I was overseas) and here I am after a short day at work as an intern today.

I didn't imagine myself working in a intern(volunteering position) at their office. I imagined myself outdoors helping with their building/environmental events...

Well, I am excited of what's to come.

It's a 3 month contract.

I am hoping I get some pay i.e a part time job afterwards. If not, I will make use of the people of different fields and sectors (need to add on linkedin) to help me on my next path on my career journey.

--

So, working for the council is my 'first.' First memory of work.

I'm glad. The office environment (people) are nice & the work culture is pretty good.

Funny, when I first met the team with the head coordinator - she talked a bit about the projects and I shared a bit about me. I realised afterwards that it was an INTERVIEW! (but a semi-informal style which was less overwhelming for me & lucky!)

I share my thoughts on my first day:
https://medium.com/@juliannewrites/first-day-of-intern-work-d855c3f66be9

Thank you for reading,

j-nguyen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Designers/architects as local community leaders

'ky niem' or 'experiences' in your life i.e career